Re: From [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 18:55:43 EDT

    On 30/07/2003 14:55, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>But there are other sequences which are
    >>ambiguous between ending in a consonant or a vowel, notably yod
    >>following hiriq, and vav with dagesh which may be shuruq.
    >>

    >Luckily there aren't positional variants of these, however, correct? Both
    >hiriq and shuruq are always centered.

    True, I'm glad to say.

    >>If we do want to distinguish the two positions of holam while
    >>keeping it following the base character, the only way which doesn't land
    >>us in a nasty mess is to define a second variant of holam.
    >>

    >So let it be written (using
    >http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2352-form.html), so let it be done!

    Well, if there is something like a consensus on this one I will do that.
    But maybe I will wait until we have something like consensus on a few
    other issues as well, e.g. double vowels, meteg, extraordinary points,
    and so-called inverted nun, and then perhaps write a combined proposal.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com