Re: From [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 19:56:20 EDT

    On 30/07/2003 16:34, Ted Hopp wrote:

    >On Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:15 PM, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >

    >>... But there are other sequences which are
    >>ambiguous between ending in a consonant or a vowel, notably yod
    >>following hiriq, and vav with dagesh which may be shuruq.
    >>

    >Hiriq followed by yod is a standard Hebrew vowel with a name: hiriq male.
    >There's also a tsere male, which is a tsere followed by a yod. In both
    >cases, the yod is considered part of the vowel. In some Hebrew accents,
    >there are apparently phonetic as well as spelling differences between the
    >male and khaser forms of hiriq and tsere.
    >
    >Ted
    >
    >P.S. In case anyone was wondering: "maLE" means "full" and "khaSER" means
    >"diminished" or "lacking".
    >
    >Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    >ZigZag, Inc.
    >ted@newSLATE.com
    >+1-301-990-7453
    >
    >newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
    > ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/

    Thanks ... but hiriq plus yod can also be just that, a sequence of hiriq
    and yod, and must be that when the yod is followed by a vowel.
    Admittedly in such cases there is usually a dagesh in the yod; in all
    five cases without one which I found in BHS (1 Kings 1:13:22, Jeremiah
    52:19:7, Ezekiel 1:11:12, Daniel 5:24:3, 9:2:13 - third number is word
    count, taking maqaf as not dividing words), BHS is following L where
    other MSS differ. But, as you, Ted, have said several times, we must
    support irregular spellings as well as regular ones.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com