Re: Newbie Question - what are all those duplicated characters FOR?

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 13:25:50 EDT

    Jill.Ramonsky@Aculab.com wrote:

    > I'm reasonably sure that this question reflects my own ignorance, rather
    > than some problem with the standard, but nonetheless, I am confused.
    >
    > For a start, we have the letters A to Z starting at 000041.

    These are the normal letters.

    > Then we have the circled forms starting at 0024B6.

    These were added because of compatibility issues with East-Asian
    character sets.

    > Then we have the fullwidth forms starting at 00FF21.

    These were added because of compatibility issues with East-Asian
    character sets.

    > Now we have mathematical bold forms starting at 01D400,

    These are to be used in mathematics, where bold & non-bold characters
    mean different things.

    > mathematical italic forms starting at 1D434,
    > mathematical bold italic forms starting at 1D468
    > mathematical script forms starting at 1D49C,
    > mathematical bold script forms starting at 1D4D0,
    > mathematical fraktur forms starting at 1D504,
    > mathematical double-struck forms starting at 1D538,

    See above.

    > Aren't these differences that could be better managed by, say, clicking on
    > the BOLD button in a GUI environment.

    If your software supports mark-up, yes. If you want to encode
    mathematics in plain text, you'll have to use the mathematical bold,
    italic etc. characters. Most mathematical formulæ will require mark-up
    for different reasons, though.

    Stefan