Re: AL32UTF8 Vs UTF8

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 13:38:37 EDT

    Jay Chandru scripsit:

    > I wanted to know the differences between AL32UTF8 and UTF8. My database (oracle) will be in AL32UTF8 format. Will the applications that require multibyte characters work as they are functionin in UTF8 format.

    The Oracle UTF8 format is really CESU-8, whereas the AL32UTF8 format is
    true UTF-8. The difference shows up in characters beyond U+FFFF, which
    are represented with six bytes in UTF8 format, four bytes in AL32UTF8
    format.

    UTF8 format is not very interoperable, whereas AL32UTF8 format is.
    I recommend that you use the latter.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarves."