Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 19:06:55 EDT

    Some of this seems to be in reference to an earlier contention that
    Text Boundaries (inc. Lines) break between the space and the
    non-spacing mark. I think this was attributed to Phillipe.

    [This may not be true: I don't actually read his email, because the
    information content per line falls below my email threshold; not to
    say that there may not be information there, but I cannot afford to
    take the time to find out -- sadly, one of my character flaws.]

    All of the text boundaries preserve grapheme cluster boundaries, which
    never separate a base character (including space and NBSP) from a
    following NSM. In addition, each of the boundary types above grapheme
    clusters make some statement about the behavior of the grapheme
    cluster. For example, with line boundaries a SPACE + NSM has a special
    behavior. With the others, the behavior is the same as the base
    character.

    As Ken points out, in any event these are default boundaries, and can
    be tailored. That being said, if the normal behavior of the default
    can be improvied, and someone has a concrete proposal for doing so,
    then it can be considered.

    Mark
    http://www.macchiato.com
    ► “Eppur si muove” ◄