Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 19:04:01 EDT

    From: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>

    > Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >
    > > So far so good, but when I get to an accent with no predefined spacing
    > > variant, I have a problem!
    >
    > No you don't. If you want to say <Seagull> is the diacritic used to
    > represent linguolabial sounds in the IPA, then you just encode U+0020
    U+033C
    > at the beginning of the next line. If the seagull doesn't line up
    properly,
    > you complain to the foundry or the implementor.

    It's true that you can complain to a foundry for an inappropriaet glyph
    positioning
    but not to an implementor of other components dealing with text boundaries.
    The inaccuracies we are spaeaking about are not in the glyph representation
    but in text handling algorithms, these last ones being clearly part of the
    Unicode
    standard, unlike font problems.