RE: Clones (was RE: Hexadecimal)

From: Jill.Ramonsky@Aculab.com
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 05:00:02 EDT

    Yeah, I know. But like I said, who uses this?

    I have a QWERTY keyboard in front of me. I use a standard en-GB key mapping.
    Now I _could_ customise my keymap such that Right-Alt + HYPHEN MINUS yielded
    MINUS SIGN. Wouldn't that be great? Then I could write things like "x = -5;"
    unambiguously. But it would completely screw my C++ compiler.

    And I also have to ask ... if I am actually WRITING a C++ compiler, should I
    allow the use of MINUS SIGN to mean minus sign? (Actually, that question may
    be answered by the specification of C++, so let's push it a bit further. If
    I am inventing some successor language to C++, and am free to invent my own
    specification, should I _then_ allow the use of MINUS SIGN?)

    I'm not being Devil's advocate. I don't necessarily even expect anyone to
    have a definitive answer. I only ask that the charts make clear what each
    character is FOR, in sufficient detail that the answer to questions like the
    above becomes obvious.

    Jill