RE: Proposed Draft UTR #31 - Syntax Characters

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 04:26:31 EDT

    Peter Kirk wrote:
    > Similarly, Hebrew geresh and gershayim look like quotation
    > marks and are used interchangeably in legacy encodings,
    > the same with maqaf and hyphen
    > - maqaf is very much the cultural equivalent of hyphen, and I
    > have seen recent discussion about whether the hyphen key on a
    > Hebrew keyboard ought actually to generate a maqaf.

    No, wait. The fact that maqaf id the cultural (and visual) equivalent of a
    hyphen, is a good reason to *exclude* it from class <Pattern_Syntax>, i.e.
    *allow* it in identifiers, so that composite words can be used as
    identifier.

    > As an ordinary Latin hyphen is already in the list, by your
    > argument there is no reason to exclude other things that
    > look like it and function like it.

    I guess that the only reason why the ASCII '-' is included in
    <Pattern_Syntax> is that it is also used as "minus". If if only had the
    meaning "hyphen", it would not be in <Pattern_Syntax>.

    _ Marco