Re: [hebrew] Re: Hebrew Issues

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 06:39:09 EDT

    On 24/08/2003 20:59, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>>I suggest that a small area, either in the PUA block or somewhere
    >>>else, be defined as an RTL PUA.
    >>>

    >>Good idea! Or would it be adequate to suggest that RLM be inserted
    >>before each PUA character? Would that make them right-to-left?
    >>

    >No, it would not. RLM is basically an invisible character whose only
    >property is RTL-ness; it can influence the direction of a nearby neutral,
    >or set the base direction for a text that should be RTL but happens to
    >begin with a strong LTR character, but it cannot change the directionality
    >of an existing LTR character.
    >
    >However, the desired effect can be achieved by preceding each PUA
    >character, or sequence thereof, with RLO (U+202E) and following the
    >character or sequence with PDF (U+202C). All characters between
    >RLO and PDF are treated as strong RTL characters.

    Thank you. So I guess this is the appropriate mechanism for simulating
    an RTL PUA. Which is not to say that there shouldn't be a real,
    non-simulated one.

    >>Perhaps. The problem is that known mark-up languages have as far as I
    >>know no mechanisms for handling requests for variant glyphs.
    >>

    >For special purposes such as this, it is reasonable for Biblical scholars
    >to use their own markup languages or extensions to existing ones.
    >It would also be reasonable to contact the Style WG of the WWW Consortium
    >to discuss the possibility of adding some or all of the desired features
    >to the rendering languages CSS and XSL:FO.

    Maybe. But I think it would also be reasonable for this WG to refer the
    matter back to Unicode on the basis that variant glyphs of this kind are
    an issue for Unicode rather than for markup. And I would agree.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)