Re: font creation software for Unicode Hebrew proposal ?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 15:51:11 EDT

    Chris Jacobs <chris dot jacobs at freeler dot nl> wrote:

    >> If the PUA is supposed to be
    >> left-to-right, what codes do I give
    >> the proposed glyphs? Do they have
    >> to have a real Unicode code point?
    >
    > If you assign code points in the PUA to your glyphs it does not matter
    > which code points that are, since those codepoints then will not be
    > used anyway.

    You certainly can use PUA code points, together with a suitable font, if
    you want to encode and display text for interchange. This does not make
    the characters part of the Unicode Standard; they are simply a "mutual
    agreement" between sender and receiver (and font-maker). See
    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/udhr-ew.html for an example. Be sure
    you have installed Code 2000 by James Kass, and be sure (sigh) to change
    your encoding manually to UTF-8.

    But if Elaine simply wants to create a font with the desired glyphs,
    then Chris is correct. It is not necessary to assign a Unicode code
    point to every ligature and alternative glyph in a font.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/