Re: Bangla: [ZWJ], [VIRAMA] and CV sequences

From: Anirban Mitra (mitra_anirban@yahoo.co.in)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 06:11:44 CST

The issues raised by Mr Gautam Sengupta is more of theoritical
nature as unicode encoding for bengali is being used for quiet some
year and some fundamental change he proposes can not be done due to
basic propositions of unicode consortium.
   Mr Gautam, your contention is the new scheme will be user
friendly.But I feel character encoding has nothing to do with
user. Because user will not be processing or seeing or inputting
the unicode characters, he will be using graphemes. Inscript
Keyboard which has character equivalent as Keyboard keys are used
by few. A person who as learned typing in mechanical typewriter
will input the word 'ski' as i-matra + upper sa + lower ka. People
like me who are more convervant with ITRANS type of phonetic
keyboard will use s+k+i. Some people will input it other way. It
will be the job of the corrosponding keyboard driver to convert
both to the unicode sequence of U+09b8 U+09cd U+0995 U+09bf.

He says CV compositions should be encoded as
consonant+implicit_virama+vowel and vowel marks should be done away
with. But in when I learnt to write Bengali, I was taught the word
'kaki' (meaning aunt) should be written as 'ka-e aakaar ka-e
hrasa-i kaar'. I would want to input things in computer in the same
way which I can do with the present system.

=====

Dr Anirban Mitra

Email: mitra_anirban AT yahoo DOT co DOT in

Web Page http://www.geocities.com/mitra_anirban

Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com