Re: Hacek - Typing from a keyboard... Help!!!!

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 05:58:56 CST

The Unicode English name of the "hacek" character is "caron" (U+030C), and
the "straight line above" is named "macron" (U+030A).
Your word processor is probably inserting a decomposed caron or macron after
the base letter it modifies.

Did you try with the precomposed characters?

C with Hacek:
    U+010C C LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH CARON
    U+010D c LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CARON
E with Hacek:
    U+011A E LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH CARON
    U+011B e LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CARON
A with "straight line" above
    U+0100 A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH MACRON
    U+0101 A LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH MACRON
U with "straight line" above

    U+016A U LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH MACRON
    U+016B u LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON

The above characters are the composed canonical equivalent in NFC form, and
they correspond to the caracters that are mapped in the ISO Latin 2
character set, which does not contain the separate combining characters
(this may explain why they disappear: your database is not internally
created with Unicode, but with the Latin2 character set)

Check also your SQL client library encoding parameter: the database may
think you're not using the correct character set. This may be a problem with
your DBArtisan tool, if it internally connects to the Sybase engine and
specifies the wrong charset.