Re: Merging combining classes, was: New contribution N2676

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 17:07:06 CST

Peter Kirk scripsit:

> [A process] must
> interpret a non-normalised variant in the same way as the normalised
> form; and it cannot assume that the process presenting the data makes a
> distinction between the normalised and non-normalised form and does not
> reorder the data into an arbitrary canonically equivalent form. This
> renders superfluous any guarantees of the stability of normalisation,
> for processes which require normalised data must perform their own
> normalisation each time they read data.

Not necessarily. A process may check its input for normalization and
reject it if it is not normalized, and XML consumers are encouraged
(not required) to do so.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side