Re: Merging combining classes, was: New contribution N2676

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 17:12:28 CST

From: "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>
> All of these fonts already include the newer Romanian S/s and T/t
> commaaccent characters and correct accent forms for the Latvian diacritics
> (although the Arial comma accent is a bit too much like an unattached
cedilla).

I meant for Windows 9x/ME users, as a free update for IE.

Of course Windows 2000/XP/2003 have these extended fonts in extended
OpenType version, but Windows 9x/ME only have TTF fonts.

The last time I checked these fonts on Windows 95/98 (a few months ago),
they could not render the t-comma-below letter of Romanian (a missing glyph
square was displayed): I had to encode t-cedilla instead, using a ISO
Turkish encoding for a web page in Romanian...

The fact that these fonts may show a comma below is not consistent with the
encoding if the codepoint indicated a cedilla (and I know that Romanians are
quite sensitive to this issue, sending many bug reports to software writers
that publish a Romanian localization of their software or web pages; and I'm
not always able to convince them that it is not a problem of the software
itself, but of the underlying platform and its installed core fonts and
codepage converters).

The other needed update is the NLS system mapping to Unicode which may not
be available.

May be this has changed... I'm on XP now and I may have not noticed the new
IE core fonts update for 95/98...