Re: GSM and Unicode

From: YTang0648@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 15:48:15 EST

    In a message dated 11/4/2003 12:27:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    verdy_p@wanadoo.fr writes:

    GSM charsets are mostly from MES-1, but GSM phones now prefer using a UTF-8
    scheme based on Unicode, where extensions are added depending on the
    national markets where they are deployed (so support for basic Arabic or
    basic Hebrew is optional but now comes frequently on phones from Nokia,
    Siemens, Alcatel, Sony, Motorola, only with the Unicode scheme, not in the
    ITU encoding scheme).
    it be nice if you can tell me more about this "UTF-8" scheme. I didn't see it
    in the GSM 03.38 standard. How wide is such support? How is that supprot
    through the GSM? using the "user defined" 8bits (Bit 3 2 = "0 1"? ) or something
    else?

    ==================================
    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    System Architect, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
    AIM:yungfongta mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
    Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan

    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that
    whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

    Does your software display Thai language text correctly for Thailand users?
    -> Basic Conceptof Thai Language linked from Frank Tang's
    Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn Secrets
    Want to translate your English text to something Thailand users can
    understand ?
    -> Try English-to-Thai machine translation at
    http://c3po.links.nectec.or.th/parsit/