Re: Oriya: nndda / nnta?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 19:04:54 EST

    At 17:58 -0800 2003-11-26, Peter Constable wrote:
    > The Indian gov't doc at http://tdil.mit.gov.in/ori-guru-telu.pdf
    >describes the conjunct shown in the attached PNG as being pronounced
    >as though NNA + VIRAMA + DDA (0B21). The component attached to the
    >NNA otherwise represents TA (0B24), however.

    It would be just sooooo cool if you would say what page and column
    and line of that document you are referring to.

    >My question is this: should this conjunct be encoded as < 0B23 NNA,
    >0B4D VIRAMA, 0B24 TA > or as < 0B23 NNA, 0B4D VIRAMA, 0B21 DDA >?

    On the empty evidence of your one gif I would say it is TA, but
    honestly, decisions should not be made on the basis of patchy stuff
    like this. Indian government document or not, there is no evidence
    there to base decisions on.