RE: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 08:51:44 EST

    At 01:40 +0100 2003-12-24, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >Michael Everson wrote:
    > > Of course, to echo the observation John Hudson made regarding the
    > > Masonic Hebrew and Samaritan text, the text presented here
    > > http://www.crowndiamond.org/cd/genesis.html shows that Palaeo-Hebrew
    > > should obviously unified with Latin.
    >
    >Instead of taking dogmatic positions on how proto-semitics scripts
    >should be encoded, why not leaving this work to the people that will
    >really use these scripts and are currently working with those texts
    >and publishing them?

    Because I am not taking "dogmatic positions". I know what I am doing.
    I am being careful, trying to manage the work within the larger
    context of the schedule we have set ourselves, and trying to do this
    it in terms of realistic priorities.

    >It seems that there are much enough people working there without
    >needing to oppose to all what they have to say.

    That isn't what I am doing. Indeed, I accepted a useful suggestion on
    the part of Peter Kirk. I do, however, oppose overunification when it
    is warranted to do so. At the same time it takes time to do that. It
    took a great deal of time to disunify Coptic from Greek and Nuskhuri
    from Mkhedruli. I do NOT want to have to do that again with a hasty
    overunification of early Semitic alphabets.

    >Could you instead take the time to work on the missing Latin letters
    >for African languages? Why isn't there any serious work about these
    >living languages that don't have lot of universitary support and
    >nearly no computer resources in Africa to make this job?

    Thank you for proposing more topics requiring extensive research and
    proposal preparation, especially as the materials needed to make such
    proposals are not available to us. Please give generously to the
    Script Encoding Initiative to enable us to undertake such work.
    Alternatively, please collect the necessary materials and provide
    them to us.

    >There is still interesting work to do within the Latin and Arabic scripts.

    Yes, there is. See N2692, for instance, and Ns247, and N2641, and
    N2640, and N2581R2.

    >It's a shame that someone like you invest so much in an area that
    >would better be specified by other communities.

    Is it indeed.