Re: Pre-1923 characters?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 18:22:52 EST

    At 12:19 PM 1/2/2004, D. Starner wrote:

    >Can I assume that both the Pan-Turkic
    >Latin orthography and the Pan-Nigerian alphabet postdate that?

    The Pan-Turkic Latin orthography developed out of the modern Turkish
    orthography and Latin alphabets in use in the Soviet Turkic republics in
    the 1920s. Most of the latter alphabets were formalised after 1923, but
    some languages were already using Latin alongside Arabic earlier than that.
    For example, the Azeri communist newspaper _Yeni Yol_ used Latin
    exclusively from 1920.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_