Re: Pre-1923 characters?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 19:57:38 EST

    On 02/01/2004 15:22, John Hudson wrote:

    > At 12:19 PM 1/2/2004, D. Starner wrote:
    >
    >> Can I assume that both the Pan-Turkic
    >> Latin orthography and the Pan-Nigerian alphabet postdate that?
    >

    > The Pan-Turkic Latin orthography developed out of the modern Turkish
    > orthography and Latin alphabets in use in the Soviet Turkic republics
    > in the 1920s. ...

    Vice versa for Turkish, surely? Turkey didn't adopt the Latin alphabet,
    at least formally, until 1928.

    > ... Most of the latter alphabets were formalised after 1923, but some
    > languages were already using Latin alongside Arabic earlier than that.
    > For example, the Azeri communist newspaper _Yeni Yol_ used Latin
    > exclusively from 1920.

    OK. They weren't pan-Turkic until later, though. And I wasn't aware of
    Latin script publications as early as 1920, although a Latin, or mixed
    Latin-Cyrillic, alphabet was proposed in Azerbaijan as early as 1878.
    Latin was a second official script in Azerbaijan from 20th October 1923,
    and this early script seems to have included the following non-Latin-1
    characters (plus capital equivalents):

    U+0259 ə
    U+01A3 ƣ
    ?? dotless i with a hook to the right (possibly U+0269 ɩ, but it
    actually looks more like a small caps L with a descender at the right
    hand end)
    A glyph variant of U+014B ŋ
    U+0275 ɵ
    U+0292 ʒ
    U+01B6 ƶ

    A more useful reference than the one I gave before is
    http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/81_folder/81_articles/81_anar.html.
    See also
    http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/81_folder/81_articles/81_akhundov.html;
    the headings of the first table have examples of the odd i with a hook,
    but sadly illegible (I can see them in the printed version of this
    magazine which I have), but there is one shown in the pictured alphabet
    scroll in
    http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/81_folder/81_articles/81_mollanasraddin.html.

    --
    Peter Kirk