Re: Pre-1923 characters?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 21:59:06 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    To: "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>
    Cc: "D. Starner" <shalesller@writeme.com>; <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 1:57 AM
    Subject: Re: Pre-1923 characters?

    > On 02/01/2004 15:22, John Hudson wrote:
    >
    > > At 12:19 PM 1/2/2004, D. Starner wrote:
    > >
    > >> Can I assume that both the Pan-Turkic
    > >> Latin orthography and the Pan-Nigerian alphabet postdate that?
    > >

    > > The Pan-Turkic Latin orthography developed out of the modern Turkish
    > > orthography and Latin alphabets in use in the Soviet Turkic republics
    > > in the 1920s. ...
    >
    > Vice versa for Turkish, surely? Turkey didn't adopt the Latin alphabet,
    > at least formally, until 1928.
    >
    > > ... Most of the latter alphabets were formalised after 1923, but some
    > > languages were already using Latin alongside Arabic earlier than that.
    > > For example, the Azeri communist newspaper _Yeni Yol_ used Latin
    > > exclusively from 1920.
    > >
    > OK. They weren't pan-Turkic until later, though. And I wasn't aware of
    > Latin script publications as early as 1920, although a Latin, or mixed
    > Latin-Cyrillic, alphabet was proposed in Azerbaijan as early as 1878.
    > Latin was a second official script in Azerbaijan from 20th October 1923,
    > and this early script seems to have included the following non-Latin-1
    > characters (plus capital equivalents):
    >
    > U+0259 ə
    i.e. LATIN SMALL LETTER SCHWA

    > U+01A3 ƣ
    i.e. LATIN SMALL LETTER OI

    > ?? dotless i with a hook to the right (possibly U+0269 ɩ
    i.e. LATIN SMALL LETTER IOTA (please use character names so that we
    don't always have to open the UnicodeData.txt file in the database).

    >, but it actually looks more like a small caps L with a descender at the
    right
    > hand end)

    Isn't it exactly the definition of the lowercase iota? Or do you mean that
    the
    hook at the bottom of iota should extend from its current baseline to with a
    descender, like a mirrored dot-less 'j' ?

    Or do you mean really a snigle vertical stroke without a required hook
    below,
    where in that case it would be a variant of dotless i with a long leg below
    the
    baseline, so an intermediate between the standard dotless i and the standard
    dotless j, and similar in variant formation to the two variants of long-s
    with
    a long leg below the baseline or a short leg on the baseline.

    In my opinion your description looks more like a iota than to a lowercase
    'oi'
    letter (that looks more like an 'o' ligated with a following dotless
    reversed 'j',
    or looks more similar to a lowercase 'g' with some fonts like Arial U.MS.)