Re: Pre-1923 characters?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 08:12:17 EST

    On 02/01/2004 18:59, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >>U+0259 ə
    >>

    >i.e. LATIN SMALL LETTER SCHWA

    Yes

    >>U+01A3 ƣ
    >>

    >i.e. LATIN SMALL LETTER OI

    Yes, except that it isn't an OI at all, whoever gave it this name was
    ignorant of the character and went merely on the shape.

    >>?? dotless i with a hook to the right (possibly U+0269 ɩ
    >>

    >i.e. LATIN SMALL LETTER IOTA (please use character names so that we
    >don't always have to open the UnicodeData.txt file in the database).

    I deliberately avoid using Unicode character names because they are
    misleading, as we have just seen. I don't want people to think they know
    what the letter is because they have seen its name. If you install Arial
    Unicode MS or Code2000 you can see the glyph. Or you can use Unibook.

    >>, but it actually looks more like a small caps L with a descender at the
    >>

    >right
    >

    >>hand end)
    >>

    >Isn't it exactly the definition of the lowercase iota? Or do you mean that
    >the
    >hook at the bottom of iota should extend from its current baseline to with a
    >descender, like a mirrored dot-less 'j' ?
    >
    >Or do you mean really a snigle vertical stroke without a required hook
    >below,
    >where in that case it would be a variant of dotless i with a long leg below
    >the
    >baseline, so an intermediate between the standard dotless i and the standard
    >dotless j, and similar in variant formation to the two variants of long-s
    >with
    >a long leg below the baseline or a short leg on the baseline.

    Your ideas don't match mine at all. As a picture is worth 1000 words,
    see the attached, from
    http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/81_folder/81_articles/81_mollanasraddin.html.
    The letter in question is the one above the M, which must be
    distinguished from the L and has the same sound as Turkish dotless i.
    The lower case glyph is a small version of the upper case, with no dot.
    I'm not sure why there are two I's in this drawing, perhaps one of them
    should be a J.

    >In my opinion your description looks more like a iota than to a lowercase
    >'oi'
    >letter (that looks more like an 'o' ligated with a following dotless
    >reversed 'j',
    >or looks more similar to a lowercase 'g' with some fonts like Arial U.MS.)

    This letter looks nothing like U+01A3, which is also visible in the
    bottom line of the attachment.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)