Re: LATIN SOFT SIGN

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:27:18 EST

    On 05/01/2004 05:54, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 05:30 -0800 2004-01-05, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that we do actually need two new character pairs, this one
    >> and also the soft sign lookalike - unless it is considered acceptable
    >> to use the Cyrillic characters in Latin text cf. the use of Latin Q
    >> and W in Cyrillic Kurdish.
    >

    > LATIN LETTER TONE SIX **is** the SOFT SIGN clone into Latin, and
    > should be used for Pan-Turkic. I've suggested, but perhaps not loudly
    > enough, that the reference glyph be modified to be more soft-sign like.

    If we are talking about U+0184/0185 (an inexact character name is not
    much help), yes, that is a sensible match, but in that case we need a
    note cf. for 01A3 that these are for Pan-Turkic Latin alphabets, and not
    just for Zhuang tones as the existing note suggests. (It might also
    explain why this Zhuang tone is not unified with a Cyrillic letter as
    tones 3 and 4 are.) Also, the reference glyphs seem to have an
    attachment on their left sides, more than a normal serif, which is
    confusing and makes them look as much like a Cyrillic hard sign as a
    soft sign. A soft sign should have symmetrical serifs, or no serif at all.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)