Re: German characters not correct in output webform

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 20:56:50 EST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > But your claim that a browser would send form data containing numeric
    > character
    > references is wrong here: it violates the format needed for forms submitted
    > by "GET" method (should be UTF-8 unless something else is specified or the
    > HTML form
    > is not encoded with UTF-8, and then URL-encoded), or "POST" method.

    I have heard such "claims" since last summer. As far as I know, IE 6 started using NCRs for
    characters that cannot be converted to the desired charset. Now it's Mozilla 1.5 as well. Wrong or
    not, browsers do it. In my opinion, this is at least better than substitution characters (like '?').

    > I don't know which other of these two submission formats are supported by
    > browsers, but I think that browsers should now adopt some XML format for
    > form data submitted by "POST". This way, browsers will be able to use
    > numeric
    > cahracter references for characters not supported in the selected target
    > encoding.

    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/

    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.