Re: Cuneiform - Dynamic vs. Static

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 13:53:37 EST

    On Jan 13, 2004, at 7:38 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > Sorry to belabor this, but:
    >
    > Based on
    > http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/CORPCHAR.TXT, this
    > zone could start at U+F700 if you include the NeXT function key
    > mappings, or U+F800 (actually U+F803) if you don't. Should we assume
    > that Apple draws the line at U+F700? The UTC has always been careful
    > never to draw the line themselves.

    It's always best to work up from the bottom of the PUA. If you want
    your font to work on Mac OS X, it's best to avoid the values in the
    file you cite. Apple adds new corporate PUA characters very
    infrequently; we try to avoid PUA characters at all costs.

    Beyond those statements I can't make any guarantees...

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Manager, Fonts / Unicode liaison
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    goldsmit@apple.com