RE: New MS Mac Office and Unicode?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 17:29:42 EST

    At 01:15 PM 1/14/2004, Han-Yi Shaw wrote:

    >Similar to Apple's Lucida Grande, many of our updated Office fonts now
    >include Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement, Latin Extended-A, Greek,
    >Cyrillic, and Latin Extended Additional characters, etc. For example,
    >the version of Times New Roman that shipped with Office X only included
    >296 characters. In Office 2004, the same font now has 1,176 characters.

    Han-Yi, I think you and Peter are talking past each other. Perhaps a couple
    of examples will clarify things:

    If I have a Word document in a LTR script that does not require any complex
    layout for typical text, but which is not on your tentative list of
    supported keyboards -- say Ogham or Runic -- using a Unicode encoded OT
    font that I can install on Mac OS, will Mac Office correctly display this
    document?

    If I make my own keyboard driver using Apple's new XML-based keyboard
    tools, will Mac Office recognise this keyboard and allow me to input
    Unicode text using it?

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_