Re: New MS Mac Office and Unicode?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 17:15:03 EST

    At 05:02 AM 1/14/2004, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >>Australian, Austrian, Belgian, Brazilian, British, Bulgarian, Canadian,
    >>Catalan, Cherokee, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian,
    >>Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Faroese, Finnish, French,
    >>German, Greek, Korean, Hawaiian, Hungarian, Icelandic, Inuktitut, Irish,
    >>Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian, Northern
    >>Sami, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Serbian-Latin,
    >>Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Swiss French, Swiss German, Turkish,
    >>Ukrainian, Welsh.
    >This tentative list doesn't look to be very much of an improvement on the
    >current situation. Chinese and Japanese have been added, plus Cherokee and
    >Inuktitut for some strange reason (I'm sure they are not more important
    >commercially than Arabic).

    It looks to me as if Mac Office will be using system keyboards for input,
    so the list is determined in part by what Apple are providing. Cherokee and
    Inuktitut get on there because keyboards are available, fonts ship with the
    new OS, and the scripts do not require any clever OpenType or AAT layout.
     From the look of things, the barrier to support for more complex scripts
    may still be disagreement about the appropriate font and shaping technology
    to use.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_