Re: Collation charts out of date

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 06:22:51 EST

    On 30/01/2004 15:29, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 15:00 -0800 2004-01-30, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> Nor is that how mathematical alphanumeric symbols are used. But they
    >> are still given compatibility and collation data as if they were. I
    >> am simply looking for some consistency, and less confusion for the
    >> ordinary user of the collation charts who shouldn't see these letters
    >> highlighted at the top level, but rather hidden among a whole lot of
    >> other font variants used only for special purposes.
    >

    > Wrong. The math symbols are not used in words in plain text which are
    > conventionally sorted. The Uralic Phonetic Alphabet letters certainly
    > are.

    Is the issue that fixing these weights is more bother than it's worth,
    as Ken suggested? Or is it that these weights are actually correct,
    because it is what is wanted by the users, the UPA community (and for 11
    of the which are in the IPA block, the IPA community)? If the latter, I
    withdraw my objection. But I would want to see some evidence that the
    phoneticians actually want these to be sorted as separate letters at the
    top level. Have they been asked?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)