Re: Collation charts out of date

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 07:43:25 EST

    On 31/01/2004 03:22, Peter Kirk wrote:

    > On 30/01/2004 15:29, Michael Everson wrote:
    >
    >> At 15:00 -0800 2004-01-30, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nor is that how mathematical alphanumeric symbols are used. But they
    >>> are still given compatibility and collation data as if they were. I
    >>> am simply looking for some consistency, and less confusion for the
    >>> ordinary user of the collation charts who shouldn't see these
    >>> letters highlighted at the top level, but rather hidden among a
    >>> whole lot of other font variants used only for special purposes.
    >>

    >> Wrong. The math symbols are not used in words in plain text which are
    >> conventionally sorted. The Uralic Phonetic Alphabet letters certainly
    >> are.
    >

    > Is the issue that fixing these weights is more bother than it's worth,
    > as Ken suggested? Or is it that these weights are actually correct,
    > because it is what is wanted by the users, the UPA community (and for
    > 11 of the which are in the IPA block, the IPA community)? If the
    > latter, I withdraw my objection. But I would want to see some evidence
    > that the phoneticians actually want these to be sorted as separate
    > letters at the top level. Have they been asked?

    I see from a brief comparison of the IPA chart
    (http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/fullchart.html) with the Latin alphabet
    collation chart that there seems to be a general principle that separate
    IPA characters are collated separately at the first level. Apart from
    diacritics, I can see only one exception to that principle, c cedilla. I
    assume that this was a deliberate decision, and it seems to be a
    sensible one for IPA usage. This principle applies including the 8 or so
    small caps in IPA. Other UPA variants e.g. rotated letters are sorted
    separately at the top level, and so I suppose that the same principle
    applies to UPA.

    The change I was suggesting, to treat small caps as a font variant,
    would compromise this principle for both IPA and UPA. For this reason I
    want to withdraw the suggestion.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)