Re: Fwd: Re: (SC2WG2.609) New contribution N2705

From: C J Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 10:06:44 EST

     "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:

    << When someone comes along and says "we need to encode Devanagari ksha" or "we
    need to encode ch", you, Michael Everson, will respond saying, "No, we do not
    need to encode those things," and you make that decision by applying some
    principle.>>

    Since Devanagari 'ksha' (and 'jña') are considered to be (and treated as)
    separate letters in some languages written in Devanagari I should think there
    was a good case for encoding these as separate characters - at least
    before the rule that characters with decompositions can no longer be encoded
    came in.

    - Chris