Re: [OT?] Modifying (Unicode) sorting of languages using diacritics in MS Word and MS SQL Server

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 02:59:24 EST

    From: "Patrick Andries" <Patrick.Andries@xcential.com>

    > I have the same question for MS SQL Server 2000...

    Similar answer to the one Chris gave for Word, though with a slightly older
    version of the Windows sort tables....

    > Finally, I would like to know if it is possible for a user to add
    > an additional language to the ones appearing in the Windows regional and
    > language options, so as to assign to it, for instance, some keyboard
    > layouts.

    This is not currently possible. But the user can certainly create a new
    keyboard (now with an easy GUI tool) and the system will handle all that is
    typed with it.

    > P.-S. : Do Word, SQL Server 2000 and the Regional and Language options
    > window support all Unicode 4.0 associated languages as far as proper
    > sorting and addition of keyboards are concerned ?

    It is hard to know what you mean here -- are you asking for when every
    single character in Unicode 4.0 will be in some keyboard and some
    linguistically appropriate sort, all built into Windows? Or did you have a
    more practical (and reasonable) target in mind?

    > If not, when will these products do so ?

    Well, see above.

    MichKa [MS]
    NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development