Re: LATIN SMALL LIGATURE CT

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 21:06:44 EST

    Peter Constable wrote:

    >Adobe included this and other ligatures in their use of the PUA for
    >their own legacy reasons;

    More specifically, to allow applications which do not have OpenType
    layout to display those ligatures.

    > it has otherwise never been necessary for them
    >to do so in their Pro fonts,

    Indeed, InDesign does not use those code points.

    >and I believe they are moving away from
    >that practice.

    Not until the majority of applications support OpenType layout, and,
    more importantly, the majority of documents have been migrated to not
    use those PUA characters. In other words, probably never for existing
    fonts.

    Eric.