What's the BMP being saved for?

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 10:33:36 EST

    This probably is going to sound like a really dumb question, but ... I'm
    curious. Why are characters being assigned codepoints > U+FFFF, when
    there is still loads and loads of unused empty space below that point.
    Is the BMP being saved for something? Are codepoints < U+010000
    reserved for something of which I am unaware? If so, what? If not, why
    are assignments being made up there in the astral planes?

    By my calculations, the total number of currently existent Unicode
    characters is < 0x10000, which means that - currently - ALL existent
    Unicode characters could have been encoded in 16-bits. I can understand
    wanting to make room for more than 0x10000 characters for the future,
    but we don't need to be there yet (unless there's some explanation with
    which I am unfamiliar), so I don't understand why they don't just get
    assigned in ascending numerical order on a first-come first-served basis.

    Maybe someone could assuage my curiousity?
    Arcane Jill