RE: RTL -> LTR

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 20:32:49 EST

    John,

    Look at UTR#20 and at UAX#9 (the 4.01. version is due out shortly).

    Taken together they suggest that the non-plain text way is to keep such
    text direction overrides out of band (i.e. in markup) and to apply the
    bidi algorithm segment by segment in a marked up file.

    If you export to plain text, follow Jony's suggestion, and when
    importing text into a markup language environment, substitute
    the equivalent markup (*) and remove the LRO/PDF from the data
    stream.

    It might be a while before applications really support this, but
    you can always construct two text files, one in correct plain
    text (using a span delimited by LRO and PDF) and one in correct
    HTML, for example, and try and import/export them in and out and
    across your favorite tools.

    By all means, file as many bugs against them as you find ;-)

    A./

    (*) if available - this is a necessary caveat.