Re: New Currency sign in Unicode

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 23:05:37 EST

    Peter Kirk wrote:

    > I wonder if Kyekyeku is finding it rather offensive that all we
    > westerners are claiming to know better than he does what the cedi sign
    > looks like. He says it is different from a cent sign. Let's stop
    > speculating that he might be wrong and wait for him to provide evidence
    > that he is correct.

    At http://www.mich.com/~kimsuk/pdf/currency.pdf the Ghana currency is
    named "new cedi" and its symbol appears as a N¢ with the ¢ appearing in
    capital letter form with an oblique slash and Kyekyeku described.

    This web page also has a slashed capital G for the Paraguayan guarani,
    another symbol not in Unicode.

    Oddly the symbol for colon for Costa Rica and El Salvador is here given
    as capital C rather than the colon sign U+20A1.

    I suppose a proper cedi symbol could be theoretically generated in
    Unicode as <U+0043, U+0338> LATIN LETTER CAPITAL C followed by COMBINING
    LONG SOLIDUS OVERLAY, producing C̸ . Displaying this well is problematical.

    A clunky work-around might be to put a ¢ key on the keyboard which
    would produce ¢ when unshifted and <U+0043, U+0338> when shifted,
    allowing the user to chose.

    At http://www.tug.org/ftp/historic/fonts/dc-ec/dc-1.3/txsymbol.mf the
    cedi symbol and the colon sign (U+20A1) ₡ are identified.

    Jim Allan

    ̸