Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 11:33:32 EST

    Arcane Jill wrote:

    > 0x80 if I remember correctly.

    I know you've already corrected yourself, realizing that you were
    thinking of the extended-ASCII character set used by the ZX Spectrum (TS
    2068, IIRC), but just to finish this thought:

    > There were sixteen block-graphics characters, remember? They each were
    > subdivided into four quadrants, each of which could be either black or
    > white, according to the low order four bits of the codepoint. The
    > all-white block-graphics character was visually indistinguishable from
    > space, but was NOT space.

    I remember them well (and have a reference beside me anyway :). The
    block-graphics characters could be inverted by adding 0x80, which means
    that 0x80 was actually a solid *black* box. This had an especially
    weird effect when juxtaposing the "gray boxes" 0x08 and 0x88, which were
    both U+2592 but of opposite polarities, so they didn't line up properly.
    This was used to advantage in some games to create a rough-looking
    texture.

    > Of course ZX80 characters did not, in general, have properties, but
    > line breaking algorithms looked for character 0x00, not character
    > 0x80, and so graphic-space behaved like a non-space, not like a space.

    I'm sure they existed, but I can't remember anything sophisticated
    enough to be called a "line breaking algorithm" in the ZX8* environment.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/