names of the chars?

From: Tobias Stamm (stammt@student.ethz.ch)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 00:11:04 EDT

    Greetings to all standartisers!

    I'm new here so forgive me my stupidness.

    I just have one little question to which I didn't found the answer in
    the whole homepage:

    What is the standard of the characters names?

    What I mean is: For example, the character A has the name "LATIN
    CAPITAL LETTER A". So I guess for a name, there can only be used the 26
    capital letters of the latin alphapet plus space. But that's just my
    guess. Are there any other characters allowed (maybe some brackets or
    points, commata? digits?).

    Aha, right now, I found a char that uses the minus plus some digits:
    "CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-298C6"

    Thanks in advance for your help, even if it's just a link which guides
    me to the standartisation (maybe an RFC?).

    proud to be a newby! :)

    Greetings,

    Tobias