Re: U+0140

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 05:15:10 EDT

    Sent the previous message before it was ready.

    At 12:32 -0700 2004-04-15, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Note that while the particular combination <006C, 00B7, 006C> is a
    >peculiarity of Catalan orthography, U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT (often called
    >a 'raised period') is
    >very widely used, indeed, in technical orthographies for many
    >languages, particularly in the Americas, where it is used much more
    >commonly than the IPA characters U+02D0 MODIFIER LETTER TRIANGULAR
    >COLON or U+02D1 MODIFIER LETTER HALF TRIANGULAR COLON to indicate
    >vocalic (or less commonly, consonantal) length.

    In Cornish lexicography, the middle dot is used regularly to mark the
    vowel of the stressed syllable when it is not penultimate (as it is
    in most words).

    I have had suboptimal connectivity over the last while, and so have
    missed some of this discussion. As a type designer I personally
    consider the middle dot to be ordinary punctuation that should
    harmonize with other punctuation marks. My solution to this is to
    treat it as the top dot of a colon. So for me, MIDDLE DOT is to COLON
    as MODIFIER LETTER HALF TRIANGULAR COLON is to MODIFIER LETTER
    TRIANGULAR COLON.

    For HYPHENATION POINT I would place its height at whatever the height
    of a HYPHEN was and be done with it.