[META] Should there be a separate public list for CLDR?

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 13:09:50 EDT

    From: Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>

    > At 08:49 -0700 2004-04-25, Mark Davis wrote:
    > >There is a different committee mailing list than the one for the UTC.
    However,
    > >for the public unicode@unicode.org list it didn't seem worth having
    separate
    > >public list yet. (After all, much of the material on unicode@unicode.org
    is
    > >general globalization discussion -- and often even pretty far off
    > >that topic :-)
    >
    > I do not want to have to argue the merits of Breton or Irish month
    > names on the Unicode list. And that's what locale-building is about.
    > The Unicode list should be for discussion of encoding characters and
    > processing them. There should be a locale list for discussion of all
    > the language tags, country tags, and other locale baggage.

    But so far we haven't such arguments taking place. If there is
    an existing such list on openi18n.org, it would make sense to
    replace it with a unicode.org list given the change in hosts for CLDR
    Absent such a pre-existing list, creating it should be driven by
    the need for it, and so far all I've seen on this list are the expected
    "what exactly is CLDR" questions that should soon die down and
    meta-discussion about the need for a separate list. So far we
    haven't seen any posts about the actual contents of the CLDR.
    If the need for a separate list exists, it should soon make itself
    apparent.