Re: [META] Should there be a separate public list for CLDR?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 18:22:53 EDT

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > Please exercise some common sense. Mixing locales along with Unicode
    > discussion is going to cause trouble. Please start a new list for
    > that discussion. It is no different from having lists dedicated to
    > specialized discussion of Tibetan or Hebrew or BiDi.
    >
    > Please, Mark. You don't spend as much time on the Unicode list as I
    > do. Trust me.
    >
    > Or trust MichKa.
    >
    > Either way, please make a new list for this specialized discussion area.

    I really support this too. It's would simplify sorting messages coming from
    either list. The same happened for the hebrew list which I think are now managed
    by their readers in a separate incoming mail folder.

    There's still, however, some discussions that would interest both lists: notably
    the definition of collation orders. But this would be about the default
    collation order (DUCET), and not for specific locales which could be discussed
    with their custom collation rules...

    Other discussions in the locales list could bring to some queries to the Unicode
    list, if there are problems to implement some locale data or ambiguities to
    encode the localized strings or localized string handling algorithms, or if
    there's a need to encode a new currency symbol or calendar symbols or numeric
    formats.