Re: [META] Should there be a separate public list for CLDR?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 15:04:39 EDT

    At 11:35 -0700 2004-04-25, Mark Davis wrote:
    >This is a public, general purpose list.

    Decidated to the discussion of the Unicode Standard and its implementation.

    >There are already many discussions of topics unrelated to the
    >Unicode standard per se; just look back over your messages sorted by
    >subject, and you'll see *many* of them.

    That is a very different thing, Mark, from announcing that everything
    goes as far as discussion of the entire area of locales is concerned.
    That is orthogonal to the discussion of the Unicode Standard and its
    implementation.

    >As I said, if this really proves to be a problem, we can split the lists.

    The very fact that month names and language codes and other
    locale-related are now fare game makes it a problem a priori for me.
    It is hard enough, Mark, to track all the mail I get. Now the Unicode
    list is going to be dedicated to a completely different topic as
    well? Bad idea.

    I want to discuss locales, but I don't want that discussion to be
    threaded along with the work on character encoding and
    implementation. I have recently published a proposal document for the
    HRYVNIA SIGN and the CEDI SIGN. That proposal derived from discussion
    occurring on the Unicode list, quite properly. Even that discussion
    was threaded along with (lots of) other stuff. Why add new areas for
    discussion?

    Please exercise some common sense. Mixing locales along with Unicode
    discussion is going to cause trouble. Please start a new list for
    that discussion. It is no different from having lists dedicated to
    specialized discussion of Tibetan or Hebrew or BiDi.

    Please, Mark. You don't spend as much time on the Unicode list as I
    do. Trust me.

    Or trust MichKa.

    Either way, please make a new list for this specialized discussion area.