Re: Romanian and Cyrillic

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 19:17:53 EDT

    On 27/04/2004 12:25, Peter Constable wrote:

    >Since we're talking about Romanian...
    >
    >Prior to 1991, the Soviet-controlled administration attempted to create
    >a distinct linguistic identity, Moldovian, which as I understand it
    >basically amounted to Romanian written in Cyrillic script. (They tried
    >to introduce some archaic Romanian forms and Russian loans, but
    >apparently none of it stuck.)
    >
    >How relevant is Romanian in Cyrillic script at this point? For instance,
    >what's the likelihood that someone might want to put Romanian-Cyrillic
    >content on the web? Already being done? A reasonable possibility?
    >Extremely unlikely?
    >

    >Peter
    >
    >Peter Constable
    >Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies
    >Microsoft Windows Division

    Would Romanian Cyrillic actually be anything different from Moldovian?

    On the same lines, I have seen Turkish written in Cyrillic, I think for
    the use of Turks living in Bulgaria, so you will need to allow for that.

    In the same geographical area, Gagauz is I think written in both Latin
    and Cyrillic.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)