Re: Croatian

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 06:35:09 EDT

    On 28/04/2004 01:47, Antoine Leca wrote:

    >Furthermore, if we allow speaking about historical datas, certainly one can
    >exhibit manuscripts or even books, that will be seen as "Croatian" by some
    >zealots, while as the same time being written in Cyrillic (an example might
    >be literature emerging from the Croat side, written in school books intended
    >for the Serbian or Bosnian audience).
    >
    >But then, what is that fuss for?
    >
    >To explain what I think, let's take a different example. I certainly can
    >write Russian in Latin. It is even done everyday on passports, geographical
    >maps, etc.
    >This is the basic reason to have ISO 15924 (please read it if you did not,
    >it is not long, and it is written in French as well, thanks Michael ;-)).
    >This way, you tag the datas with the information about the script. Very
    >good, job is done.

    Any language can be written in any script, more or less, and you can
    probably find examples of most of the world's languages quoted in
    transliteration in books at least in Latin and Cyrillic script, and
    probably a large range of them in Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, some Indic
    scripts etc (and that's without thinking about CJK). Whether that means
    that such things need to be covered by language tagging depends on the
    purpose of the language tagging.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)