Re: New contribution

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 14:07:43 EDT

    On 29/04/2004 08:22, Michael Everson wrote:

    > Look at the bibliography. Students of the Greek and Latin alphabets do
    > not claim that those alphabets derived from Hebrew.

    I made no such claim, and I didn't imply one.

    But for whose benefit is this proposal being made? Users of the
    Phoenician script? Students of the Greek and Latin alphabets? Authors of
    children's books? Users of the script don't want this proposal. Are you
    suggesting that the script should be encoded to support such tables as
    your Figure 1 (comparison of Greek and Phoenician alphabet) and Figure
    12 (from an indeed delightful children's book)? I would argue that these
    examples are not plain text, but are rather graphics, in which the point
    being made is not in the letter semantics but in the glyph shape. Is
    that an adequate basis for encoding a new script? That is a real
    question, to which an answer is needed before this proposal should be
    accepted.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)