Re: Brahmic Unification (was Re: New contribution )

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 08:59:29 EDT

    Andrew C. West scripsit:

    > For example, the excellent description of the Tocharian script
    > (surely the worst made-up name for a dead script ever) at
    > http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/idg/toch/tochbr.htm could
    > be the basis of a proposal for this important Brahmic script. There is
    > a considerable body of Tocharian material, and it would be much easier
    > to encode this material using a dedicated Tocharian block than using
    > a generic Brahmic encoding model.

    I don't understand. Are you proposing this be implemented as a full
    syllabary, Cherokee/Ethiopic style, rather than using the usual
    apparatus of consonants, independent vowels, and vowel marks (which in
    this case ligate fully with the consonants)?

    --
    What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the       John Cowan
    sound of a [Ww]all that people have stopped     jcowan@reutershealth.com