Re: Fraser

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 09:33:57 EDT

    jameskass@att.net scripsit:

    > Thank goodness for Omniglot!

    Indeed. Thanks for the Proel pointer, though.

    Here's what I find: Fraser needs turned A, B, C, D, E, F, G, J, L, P,
    R, T, U, V, and W; also reversed K (but I wonder if turned K is equally
    recognizable). Unicode 4.0 already has reversed E at U+018E, which seems
    to be adequate for turned E (its lower-case version *is* a turned e).

    Possible case pairings, not useful with Fraser, would be: turned A with
    U+0250, turned K (if that works) with U+029E, turned R with U+0279,
    turned T with U+0287, turned V with 028C, and turned W with U+028D.

    One could argue, I suppose, that Latin caps are too flexible for Fraser,
    which seems to want very simple block-style glyphs and may find ordinary
    Times Roman (say) illegibly complex. Fraser doesn't use Q, so the overlap
    with Latin letters is not huge: just the 25 remaining Basic Latin caps.

    (One could make, dare I say it, a plausible hack font with ordinary caps
    in the ASCII lower-case positions and the turned/reversed glyphs in the
    upper-case positions.)

    The Initial Teaching Alphabet, which also favors dead-simple glyphs,
    may be relevant, perhaps even unifiable.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing