Re: New contribution

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 11:26:31 CST

On 30/04/2004 13:30, John Hudson wrote:

> ... but all I'm personally questioning is the one sentence in which he
> says the new Phoenician characters should be used used for
> Palaeo-Hebrew. I'm not sure that this is the best recommendation to
> make to the people who actually work with Palaeo-Hebrew.

I don't consider this alternate suggestion to be an improvement. There
is no good reason to use different encodings for Phoenician and
paleo-Hebrew texts written in essentially the same script. This is
especially true because in the earlier times the languages as well as
the scripts are essentially identical. I understand that scholars
dispute whether the Gezer calendar is southern Phoenician or western
Hebrew. How would such an uncertain document be encoded?

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)