Re: For Phoenician

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 11:36:54 CST

On 30/04/2004 15:57, Michael Everson wrote:

> Phoenician should be encoded because it has a demonstrable usage, even
> if it's slight and mostly paedagogical, and as one of the main
> pre-cursors to a lot of other scripts.
>
> That pre-cursor was not Hebrew, which developed later and did not
> engender additional scripts.

This pedagogical usage is not in plain text, or at least plain text
usage has not been demonstrated. I think I asked before and didn't
receive an answer: should Unicode encode a script whose ONLY
demonstrated usage is in alphabet charts? I think the answer is not,
because essentially these charts are graphics of glyphs, not text.

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)