Re: New contribution

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 13:02:56 CDT

At 13:48 -0400 2004-05-03, Dean Snyder wrote:

>If I substituted modern cursive Hebrew letter forms for the
>Palaeo-Hebrew (to contrast them with the classical square Hebrew),
>would you want to encode those too?

I wouldn't, because cursive Hebrew letterforms are a valid and common
font style for modern Square Hebrew.

I would, however, continue to consider Palaeo-Hebrew to be a font
variant of Phoenician, and that part of the document should be
encodable in plain text. Just as the Greek text and the Qumran text
in the proposal document in the proposal docuument should be.

The tradition, as I have said before, considers Palaeo-Hebrew to be a
completely different script from Square Hebrew -- which it is, on
historical and developmental grounds.