Re: New contribution

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 14:51:46 CDT

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Well. Depends what you mean by "forms". Our taxonomy currently lists
> Samaritan, Square Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, and Mandaic as modern (RTL)
> forms of the parent Phoenician.

Arabic and Syriac have very specialized shaping behavior which makes them
obviously distinct from their parent form. I believe that Mandaic has
this property too.

> >Ah, so the next protracted debate is going to be whether Samaritan
> >should also be encoded using the existing square Hebrew characters.
>
> So far participants on this discussion seem to have stipulated that
> Samaritan be encoded as a modern and unique script.

I have merely postponed the question. I would still prefer to see an
overall plan with justification (that is, an update of N2311) before any
of these scripts get encoded.

--
Evolutionary psychology is the theory           John Cowan
that men are nothing but horn-dogs,             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan