RE: Just if and where is the then?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 15:27:48 CDT

> If a can have U+0061 and have a composite that is U+00e2...U+...
> If e can have U+0065 and have a composite that is U+00ea...U+...
>
> Then why is e with accented grave or acute and dot below cannot be
assigned
> a single unicode value instead of the combinational values 1EB9 0301
and
> etc....
>
> Since UNICODE is gradually becoming a defacto, I still think it will
not be
> a bad idea to have such composite values.

The existing composites were included only out of necessity so that new
Unicode implementations could interoperate with existing implementations
using legacy industry-standard encodings. Apart from the backward
compatibility issue, these composites go against Unicode's design
principles and are not needed.

No new composite values will be added.

Peter

Peter Constable